Personal injury claims are among the most common legal proceedings in the country each year. There are many causes capable of triggering them, among which are:
1. Traffic accidents: within this category we can find the accidents that occur in an own vehicle, in which the victim may receive compensation to help cover personal and material damages. Also included are truck accidents or collisions with other vehicles or with urban transport such as garbage trucks. Likewise, victims of bus or cab accidents are also able to claim compensation for personal injuries.
2. Other types of accidents involving the negligence of a third party such as: dog bite, medical malpractice, premises liability or product liability.
If you have suffered any of these circumstances, you will most likely be in a position to file a personal injury claim, for which you will need to:
1. Have the help of a lawyer.
The most sensible thing to do when starting a personal injury claim is to seek the advice of an experienced personal injury lawyer who provides services in the area where we live. It is very easy to find them, since nowadays most of them are offered through the Internet, so to find them we only have to specify our needs as in the example: accident lawyer in Philly. Once we have typed this, a list of the law firms available to assist us in the process of drafting the claim, advice on the documentation to be provided, negotiation with the parties involved and final presentation of the claim.
2. Gather the necessary documentation.
The variables in a personal injury case that influence the amount of the claim are numerous, so we should be aware that we may be required to submit considerable documentation related to the case. Among them are: the injury report, the bills for hospital admission and treatment, the documents specifying the time of sick leave, the employment contract and the occupational risk prevention document in case the accident occurred in the work environment and the insurance papers in case of a traffic accident (both the insurance of the affected person and the rest of those involved, if any).
3. Take into account the time limits.
After an accident, the maximum time limit for documenting injuries is 72 hours, which is the period the affected person has to go to the medical center. A slightly longer period is the time limit to complete the claim: up to three years from the time the events occurred.
4. Try to reach a settlement.
This point is closely linked to the first. One of the major advantages of having a lawyer in case of a personal injury claim is the possibility of negotiation between him and the parties involved or those responsible for paying compensation. In this way, it avoids going to trial, which may extend the time limit for receiving compensation even several years.